The Fortney (Fortineux) family is of French Huguenot descent.
The family fled France during the persecution of the Huguenots in the 16th century and lived in Leiden, Netherlands. David’s great-grandfather Jonas Fortineux was baptized there in 1647. From Leiden, Netherlands, members of the family immigrated first to Germany and finally to America. The spelling of the name changed through generations as it was Anglicized.
David (Fordine) Fortney was a yeoman. He and his wife Maria Gingerich Fortney lived in Warwick Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. They had seven children: David G., Johannes, Heinrich, Christian, Mary, George S., and Peter. He paid property taxes on 200 acres of land, three horses and three cattle.
David Fortney served as a member of the Warwick Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Militia multiple times between 1775–1781. He held the rank of private and served under Colonel John Huber and Captains Peter Grubby, John Ashton and Christian Hollinger. Property and state tax rolls indicate he was a resident from 1771 and paid supply tax in 1774 and 1783.
He died on June 18, 1796. He is buried at the Penryn Cemetery in Warwick Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.