In 1766, John Harris erected a stone house along the Susquehanna River. It took three years to complete and the building still stands.
It remained in the Harris family until 1838 when it was purchased by Colonel Thomas Elder. It was also the home of Pennsylvania Female College and eventually the home of General Simon Cameron, who served as Secretary of War under President Abraham Lincoln.
John Harris Jr. married Elizabeth McClure on May 3, 1749. With her, he had daughters Mary McClure, Elizabeth and Anna, sons David, William and John. Elizabeth died January 20, 1764, at Harris’ Ferry, and he married Mary Reed. Mary and John had sons Robert, Adam, James, Joseph, William, Read and a second James. They also had daughters Mary Reed, Susanna Jean and Elizabeth (#2).
John Harris Jr. provided Patriotic Service by paying the Pennsylvania Supply Tax and serving as Superintendent of Elections appointed by Provincial Conference in 1776. Numerous descendants of Harris have proven their lineage for the Daughters of the American Revolution. Reading the list of descendants is like reading a history of Harrisburg with many of the ladies’ last names now street names in the city.